No matter how nice we try to put things, there is no denying that life is a battle. Everyday is a struggle.
However, with every struggle is a blessing. We are blessed to be alive and given the chance to make changes everyday.
People say, “live your life to the fullest”; I am here to do just that.
Hi, My name is Nadrah and this is my story.
I'm a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, a cousin, a friend, a wife and a mother but most of all, I will always be a little girl at heart.
This blog is about my life and how I try to live it to the fullest while keeping it well balanced.

Sunday 10 March 2013

Free Education?



It came to my attention that there are a lot of people wanting PTPTN to be abolished and the loan which has been taken to be considered free. This brings me back to last few months where there was a highly publicized debate between Sharifah Zohra and Bavani. A lot of people would side on Bavani but really, after watching the video, I can’t really say that I side with Bavani. Yes, Sharifah Zohra is more at fault. She is older and should have been a bigger person when handling the argument. Instead, she got too emotional and didn’t answer questions that Bavani addressed accordingly. Bavani asked why other country can provide free higher education but not Malaysia. Well, there are other reasons on why the education is free in those countries. It is either there are just a small number of people who can make it to university or the tax is high in those countries. Nothing comes for free; if not, the value of it will be taken away. For example, the argument on cancelling off the PTPTN loan. Sorry to say this but when the student was keen for a loan, they signed an agreement to pay back the loan which was given to them according to the plan and the loan will turn to scholarship IF the student managed to score 1st class honors in the education program. With a contract comes the commitment; a promise that you will pay back the money so that it can be rolled back for other students to utilize. The people who signed the contract are those with SPM certification; meaning that they should know what they sign up for. If they do not wish to pay, they should have studied hard in order to get 1st class honors for scholarship conversion. PTPTN plan is rather flexible whereby during the first few years of entering the career world, we only need to pay how much we can afford to pay. There really is no need to be selfish and let others get the chance to study too just as how you got the chance to continue your studies.

I come from a middle class family and yes, sometimes, life can be hard. Entering adulthood is not easy and really money don’t grow on trees. There were times when I had to work part-time, sell my stuff, do odd jobs and engage in some side business for extra money. There were also times when I misuse my money and end up being broke for almost a month. But the hard times only thought me how to value money more and how important it is to take responsibilities seriously. So no! I do not support free education. If one wants a free education, I believe that he or she must work hard for it. 

However, there is one thing that I would wish the government would control or subsidized. That would be the cost of school attire and books. I was very surprise that Professor now sells a 'baju kurung' (mind you it's just the top) at the price of RM45. That is almost RM50 for one! The bottom is about RM37. That is only for the uniforms! We haven't gone to books, shoes etc. So imagine how much you would have to spend every year for "Back to School" shopping trip with your children!

Lucky me, I still have a little time to prepare myself. I hope that when I turn comes, I can provide my children with the best for their future and well-being.


FREE EDUCATION FOR ALL?

how about

FREE EDUCATION FOR THOSE WHO DESERVE IT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment